” My family loves this yogurt. We use local dairy pasteurized milk. I typically just mix some jelly and chia seeds into it and my family loves it. Super easy to reuse. And I absolutely love that’s its a room temp culture. Thanks!” -Kim
Today we are going to take a closer look at the Cultures for Health Viili Yogurt Starter.
Our most popular yogurt culture! Originating in Finland, the Viili Yogurt Starter cultures at room temperature into a creamy, mild yogurt with a fairly thick consistency. Our Viili yogurt does not have a ropey texture but rather a more gelatinous texture and is perfect in any yogurt recipe.
- Each box contains 2 packets of yogurt starter
- Activate 1 packet using 1-2 cups pasteurized milk; store 2nd packet in the freezer as a back-up
- Reusable heirloom starter recultures from batch to batch indefinitely.
- Instructions for using this culture may be found here
- Cultures on the countertop at room temperature (70º-77ºF)
- This culture is also suitable for use with raw dairy milk or non-dairy milk, with special care.
Ingredients: Organic milk, live active bacteria (Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, L. lactis subsp. lactis biovar. diacetylactis, Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris).
This product contains no GMO ingredients.
Shipping Information and Shelf-life: Our Viili starter culture is shipped in a barrier-sealed packet as a freeze-dried yogurt culture. The starter keeps
- At room temperature (68° to 77°F): 3 to 4 months
- In the refrigerator (40° to 45°F): 9 months unopened
- In the freezer (0° to 25°F): 12 months unopened
Due to recent changes in manufacturing processes, the weight of the item that appears in the photo may differ from the actual weight of the item received.
Contains dairy. Packaged in a facility that also manufactures products made with wheat, soy, eggs, nuts, and fish.
Q. Should I allow my milk to reach room tempature before adding the culture or just put it in the cold milk?
A. It is best if you let the milk reach room temperature before adding the culture, but it won’t damage the culture to add the culture to cold milk.
Q. Could this starter be used with goat milk to make yogurt? I love the idea of it working at room temp. Thanks!
A. Absolutely. It’s one of the many delicious things you can make with goat milk.
Q. Will this work for non dairy milks like coconut, soy or almond milk? If so, any special procedures needed? Thanks!
A. You can use viili starter with non-dairy milks, but it is unlikely to reculture as the non-dairy milks will not nourish the bacteria.
Each week, you will need to make a pasteurized dairy mother culture from which to make non-dairy milk yogurts. See here for detailed information, specifically the mesophilic culture section: http://www.culturesforhealth.com/making-dairy-mother-culture-non-dairy-yogurt/
Learn more about the Viili Yogurt Starter here.