Adding sweet spices and apples to a basic bread transforms it into a treat for brunch or even dessert.
- 4 cups flour: white flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or combination
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2-1/4 cups yogurt (plus additional if needed)
- 1/4 cup melted butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 12 hours prior to baking, combine the flour, oats, and yogurt. Cover the bowl and allow the flour to soak.
- When ready to bake bread, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the other ingredients except the apples to the flour mixture, and stir to combine. Do not over-mix. (You may need to add some more yogurt to make it more like a batter than like a stiff dough.)
- Gently fold in the apples and nuts.
- Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans. Pour the batter in the pans. Bake 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean.