June 26, 2013 in Kefir
If there were ever a time for a fruity, frosty kefir-based smoothie it is now. The height of summer is upon us and nothing refreshes better than these ice-cold smoothies.
Unusual as it might sound, our family loves this smoothie and its simplicity with melons straight from the garden.
The kefir, cantaloupe, and salt in this smoothie give it a deeply-hydrating effect. So drinking it as a component of breakfast will start a hot day off right.
It is equally as refreshing in the afternoon or at the end of a hot day to replenish some much-needed fluids. Either way, make this smoothie as we move into melon season, and enjoy its tangy-sweet freshness.
- 4 cups kefir (goat works as well as cow)
- 3 to 4 cups ice
- 1 small cantaloupe, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, or more to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
- To a large (at least 8-cup) blender, add the kefir followed by the ice followed by the chopped cantaloupe. Squeeze in the honey and add the pinch of salt. Blend for 20 to 30 seconds until all is combined and smooth.
- Taste and add more sweetener if desired. Serve immediately.