Sometimes our culturing experiments fail, no matter how many successes we’ve tucked under our belt. When I started the viili yogurt culture it looked fine at first, but it was not churning out good yogurt. I think it had to do with the over 90 degree day we had the day I cultured that milk for the yogurt starter. So I fed it to the chickens and am waiting for cooler days to try again.
I wanted to share that because fermentation in general is so individual that you simply cannot expect 100% in-the-box results all of the time. I suppose if you wanted results such as those, you’d be working with more pasteurization and less wild fermentation.
Having shared that failure, I wanted to also share that I was ready to move on and up from there and try something different. We recently acquired a couple of milk goats for our little homestead and between that milk and some that we have gotten from generous neighbors, I have had a bit of extra milk to play around with.
A simple cheese from a simple goat cheese kit was exactly what I needed to get started.