- 2 pounds fresh ground pork (up to 1/4 pound of additional pork fat can be added to the mix for more moistness, if desired)
- 1/4 cup extra-sour kombucha
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced (depending on your affinity for garlic)
- 1 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- A few dashes of dried hot pepper flakes or 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Place fennel seeds, dried parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns in a clean coffee mill and grind coarsely. Alternatively, you can use 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper and 1 to 2 teaspoons ground fennel, but it’s nice to have a few pieces of fennel seeds in the finished sausage.
- Place ground pork in a bowl large enough to allow for mixing. Pour kombucha over pork and sprinkle with spice mix. Add minced garlic, salt, and cayenne if using. With very clean hands, mix together until spices are evenly distributed throughout the ground meat. Place meat mixture in a resealable plastic bag or a glass bowl with a tight lid and refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours.
- Use in any recipe calling for bulk Italian sausage. Be sure to cook sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F.