If you’re looking for a gluten-free sourdough waffle recipe, this might be the one for you. These gluten-free sourdough waffles are also dairy-free, and so appeal to those multiple food sensitivities. Serve them up for breakfast with cultured butter and a dollop of yogurt (dairy-free, if needed); or freeze them for quick snacks or breakfast on-the-go.
- 1 cup fresh thick brown rice starter
- 1 cup sprouted rice flour or gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder (not essential, but does make waffles lighter )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon water
- Mix sourdough starter, 3/4 cup water, and rice (or oat) flour together and cover loosely. Let sit at room temperature overnight. Mixture will be very thick and bubbly in the morning.
- In the morning add maple syrup, salt, baking powder (if using), eggs, vanilla, and melted butter to the starter mixture. Stir together until thoroughly combined. Dissolve baking soda in the teaspoon of water and stir into batter. Do not stir any more at this point. Ladle onto a hot waffle iron that has been brushed with coconut oil and cook until desired crispness. Makes about 8 to 9 waffles.
- These waffles freeze well. Keep a supply in your freezer for quick weekday breakfasts. Just reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.