These gluten-free muffins are rich in the flavor department, thanks to the addition of chopped green chilies and pepper jack cheese. Try them alongside your favorite chili or any other Southwestern main dish. You may want to double the recipe because they will get gobbled up quickly.
- 1/2 cup fresh brown rice sourdough starter
- 1/2 cup cultured buttermilk
- 1 cup corn flour or sprouted corn flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup, (or honey)
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- In a large bowl, mix together brown rice starter, buttermilk, and egg. Stir in melted butter and maple syrup. Add corn flour, salt, and baking soda. Stir to combine. Fold in cheese and chilies.
- Spoon batter into 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes, until tops spring back when touched and are golden brown. Serve hot or warm with additional butter.