This very basic muffin recipe uses kefir as a soaking agent. Soaking the flour in kefir gives it a bit of tang, breaks down the fiber present in the grain, and even lends a bit of lift due to the naturally present yeasts in kefir.
- 3 cups whole-grain flour
- 2 cups milk kefir
- 2/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- The night before you wish to bake the muffins combine the flour and kefir in a large bowl. Cover and let rest at room temperature for 12 to 24 hours.
- After 12 to 24 hours, preheat oven to 375°F. Mix all other ingredients into flour-kefir mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups that have been either buttered or lined with muffin paper. Place in preheated oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into center of muffin.
Makes 20 to 25 muffins, depending on size of tin.