Many people love mayonnaise on sandwiches, in salads, and as a delicious condiment to freshly steamed vegetables. But most commercial mayonnaise is made with processed vegetable oils.
Using an unrefined olive oil is a great alternative. To preserve the mayonnaise for better keeping and add enzymes, try this lacto-fermented recipe.
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon whey
- Fill a small metal or glass bowl with warm water
- Let sit for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. After a few minutes dump out the warm water and dry the bowl thoroughly.
- Combine egg yolks and lemon juice in bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Place olive oil in a measuring cup with a spout. You are now going to drizzle the olive oil in one drop at a time while whisking. It sounds tedious, but it doesn’t take long. Just go very slowly so that the egg yolk can emulsify the lemon juice and oil. Once you are about halfway through the olive oil you can start drizzling a little faster. Just keep whisking and stop the oil every so often, whisking to be sure it emulsifies.
- Once all the oil is incorporated you should have a thick, creamy texture. Whisk in the salt, whey, and mustard powder. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
Refrigerate immediately if not using. Keeps for a few days.