This version of eggnog is not unnaturally thick and cloyingly sweet like the variety you find in the supermarket. Instead, it is fresh, sweetened naturally, and contains the added benefits of milk kefir. With many other raw ingredients, it boasts a wonderful enzymatic punch!
Our family makes this year round, whenever the urge strikes. For an extra healthful boost we’ll also use a higher ratio of kefir in the recipe, making it half-milk, half-kefir. It’s still deliciously sweet, spicy, and yummy but with just a bit more of that kefir goodness.
- 1 cup dairy kefir
- 3 cups fresh milk, cow or goat
- 4 egg yolks, from pastured chickens
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg, plus more for serving
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, combine all ingredients in a quart jar, tightly seal the lid, and shake until well combined.
- Chill and serve with additional ground nutmeg and whipped cream if desired.
Note: Please exercise caution when consuming raw eggs or products made with raw eggs.