Water kefir is one of the most refreshing beverages for the hot summer. There are a variety of ways to flavor it to turn it into a carbonated, fruity, probiotic-rich beverage.
But imagine it frozen into an icy granita. A granita is an icy sweet treat usually made by combining fruit, liquid, and sweetener and freezing it with periodic breaks for scraping down the ice crystals with a fork.
This technique creates something akin to an Italian Ice covered in fruity syrup. Except, with this recipe, you get the goodness of water kefir.
Raspberry Kefir Granita
- 2 cups water kefir
- 1+ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- Add the lemon juice to the water kefir and mix well.
- Puree the raspberries and strain them into the water kefir mixture. If they are very soft, you can simply force them through the strainer.
- Stir the mixture to fully incorporate the raspberry puree.
- Place the mixture in a 9×13-inch Pyrex-style baking dish. Place the container in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Ice will begin to form along the edges where the mixture meets the pan. Using a fork, stir the icy portions into the center of the pan. Repeat this process every 20 to 30 minutes until the mixture is frozen (generally about 3 to 4 hours).
- Using a fork, scrape the frozen granita into flakey crystals. Cover tightly and freeze.
Can be served with fresh berries or a sprig of mint.