Red potatoes are the star of this cultured side dish. This recipe can also be adjusted to make a chilled potato salad with a pickled bean kick!
- 10 small red potatoes, washed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 can green beans, drained
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dried, ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried, ground basil
- A few spoonfuls milk kefir
- In a deep frying pan, pour in about 1/4 inch of oil and add a pinch of salt. When the oil gets hot, pour in the potatoes and cover. Stir about every 5 minutes, replacing the lid and adjusting the temperature to keep the potatoes from scorching. When the potatoes are tender, add the green beans and cook until the beans are hot. Turn off the frying pan but keep the lid on.
- In a medium-size thick bottomed sauce pot combine the sour cream, basil, sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Add just enough milk kefir to make it saucy, not thick. Cook just until it is warm, stirring constantly to keep it from scorching.
- Drain the potatoes and green beans of all the oil and place them in a glass serving dish. Pour the sauce over them or serve it on the side with a little ladle. You can also garnish the potatoes and beans with a sprig of fresh sage if you like.
- Cook the potatoes as directed but don’t add the green beans. Drain the potatoes and chill them for 4 to 5 hours. Now add the green beans, cold. (This is a great recipe for your pickled green beans!)
- Make the sauce as directed but chill it and toss it with the cold potatoes and green beans. This makes a delicious cold potato salad dish!