When it is too cold to go outside and the days are just starting to lengthen, I find that baking near a warm oven is a nice reprieve for icy fingers and toes. This simple recipe fits the bill perfectly.
Warm out of then oven and spread with butter, these make a great breakfast addition or just a lovely snack. Filling bellies can be tricky when little ones are burning through so many calories in an effort to just stay warm. So, why not give them something delicious and soaked, making them easy on the belly too?
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup white flour or whole wheat pastry flour (or combination)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup melted butter, ghee or coconut Oil
- 12 hours prior to baking, combine the oats, flour, and yogurt. Cover the bowl and allow the grains to soak.
- When ready to bake muffins, preheat the oven to 425°F. Add the other ingredients and stir to combine. Do not over mix.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until the muffins are set and lightly browned. Makes 12 muffins.
Variation: Add 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.